Friday, January 4, 2008

Alyeska Mountain Weekend



I want to stay in Anchorage, but instead, I travel to Girdwood and explore a beautiful new place with people I don't really know. I'm forcing myself to take the path that is offered to me gratefully.

At the bottom of Alyeska Mountain is the Sitzmark Bar & Grill where watching people ski is enjoyable. I don't ski, but if I do spend more time in Alaska, I will consider at least getting better at Cross Country.

On First Tap (First Thursday of every month), I went to the Bear Tooth and had a fantastic evening. I saw the Whipsaws. They're truly a great, young band. I cannot remember how long it’s been since I've seen a hometown band getting the royal treatment by the hometown folks. They opened their show with a video of past performances at different Alaska venues such as The Brown Bear and Snow Goose. It was great to see the same fans in the video as on the dance floor. Shyanne Beatty from KNBA was there and it was sweet to see the Diva in action. She introduced me to her boyfriend and we spoke a little about the show 'Earthsongs' which she produces for KNBA. Shyanne is such a huge personality in Anchorage and I'm a huge fan.

After watching the clouds break up on Alyeska mountain and studying the steam and fog rising from the buildings at the resort, I headed back to the cabin to make dinner with some of the other guests. We drank, played, danced and had political discussions about the election. Our first cocktail was at 4:20 PM and the last one at 5:10 AM. It was such a hysterical time and the final thought on the weekend is, life is short and communication is key.

No comments: