Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Round Dance in AK



I went to the Native Heritage Center last weekend. They had free admission all day, so many people came to see the entertainment and the Center. I enjoyed it. Seeing all the people there was great and the performers were outstanding. I saw Medicine Dream, they're a native band from Alaska that were funny, talented, moving, exciting and rocking. Buzz is one of the members and he led the audience in the 'Round Dance'. He was singing and playing drums, and then he calmly said, "Let's dance." He gracefully stepped off the stage and started to dance alone, then slowly people got up to join him. It was beautiful to see the families get up and dance like they've danced forever. I was touched in a profound way. The community here in Anchorage is small and supportive. I felt welcome. The Center is a well designed structure that I found comfortable and it seems to serve the people. I was there with KNBA, the Native Voice Radio Station here in Anchorage. 90.3 FM. You can stream it. I was helping Shyanne Beatty organize interviews and I took photographs. The shot above is two members of Medicine Dream. I hear the Raven outside my window, I gotta go see what's up.

No comments: