Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Louisiana

Green. That's a shocking color after all the grey and white of Alaska. I landed hard here in New Orleans. This next step in life is going to be my biggest challenge. I see what is ahead in mystic shapes and sacred omens. Honestly, I'm not sure Louisiana is the place for me, but Alaska isn't either. The rub is that I long for Alaska. It was wonderful to run in to so many Alaskans on my first night back in Nola. I guess we all wanted relief from the dark, frozen winter. Life seems harsh to me this morning and the soft edges come in small, poignant packages. A smile from a stranger, greens growing in a box, cats stretching and napping in the sun. Time marches on and waits for no one. I have been humbled by peoples kindness and their cruelty. I sit quietly among my mother's things and remember my family. A fractured tale of love and loss. Ghosts whirl around me and whisper, "All is well." A simple nod to my courage as tears fall. Not self piety, but a weary resolve. Love, GrandMa

No comments: