Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Kwakwaka'wakw



I was invited to a Cultural Celebration of the T'lisalagi'lakw School. It was held at the Big House on the First Nation side of Alert Bay Village. It was a Pot Luck, dance performance and we brought a Yam Casserole and Chinese Cole Slaw. I went with my hosts Kari and Wally and we watched from the bleechers as the children danced, played drums and sang. The students and their teacher, Hotsine'ga (Sande) did a great service to the community by performing many of the native dances for a rapt audience of parents, family and friends. I was honored to be there and witness the historic, community, moment. The elders made speeches, and told the audience how happy they were that their people can finally speak their language, perform their dances and keep their culture alive. I was in awe of the sweet families and people who make up the village of Alert Bay. There's so much to see here, I can't do it in four days. I will come back and stay for a long time.

No comments: