Friday, February 22, 2008

Rondy 2008



Fur Rendezvous! Anchorage's new motto is "Big. Wild. Life." I can certainly attest to that. Today the 2008 Fur Rendezvous begins and I'm looking forward to the experience and plan on writing about it. Vern Johnson is called the father of Fur Rendezvous. He's described as a popular, outgoing Anchorage citizen with a deep understanding of social conditions. He decided to establish a festival that coincided with the time the trappers and miners returned to Anchorage with their winter's yield. It started in 1935 as a three-day tournament in February and featured hockey, basketball, boxing and a children's dog sled race down Fourth Avenue. Legend has it that almost the entire population of Anchorage turned out for the bonfire and torchlight parade. This is actually the second Rondy I've attended. The first one was in 2006 when I held up in the Westmark Hotel and watched the parade from my hotel room. Many things have happened since then and I believe I'm a happier person today. Alaska has taught me many things and the next two weeks will be no exception. www.Anchorage.net/events

No comments: