Thursday, February 28, 2008

Fur Rendezvous 2008 Continues



Rondy started for me at the Gathering of the Tribes at the Egan Center on Saturday morning. I watched the native dancing and enjoyed the singing, drumming, costumes and humorous introduction of Lord and Lady Trapper (Ken Stout and Maria Downey). After getting hungry and having a tasty breakfast at the Snow Goose, I went to Darwin's Theory and met up with some of my favorite folks including Darwin, who was dressed up in a Bolero outfit, sipping beer and surveying his bar full of costumed characters. My friend Sean met me at Darwin's, then we went to see the Snow Sculptures and watch Dog Weight Pulling at Ship Creek next to the Comfort Inn. The day was warm and the events were well attended by people who were thrilled that the day was a brilliant blue. Sean and I met up with friends at The Captain Cook Crow's Nest and ran into Darwin again who had dressed down in sports wear and was enjoying the sunset from the best perch in Anchorage. The rest of the evening was filled with fireworks, drinking, mexican food and endless discussion deciding where to go and what to do. Sunday broke beautifully and Sean and I began day two at the Peanut Farm where we watched Ice Bowling. We made sure to make it to the Running of the Reindeer at 4th and D Street in the afternoon. The Reindeer Run was hysterically funny and we hope to participate next year. After the Run, we went to the 5:15 Club for cocktails and to get the full experience of one the last old time bars in downtown Anchorage. The city must be happy with the first weekend of Rondy. I'm thinking of going to the Reindeer Sausage Eating Challenge at Humpy's tonight. I'll report on how it goes.

No comments: