Monday, March 3, 2008

Oh Hot Shot Day!



I survived Fur Rondy 2008! What a wild two weeks. Chilcoot Charlie's beat Darwin's Theory at Snowshoe Soft Ball. Even though the loss was tough to bear for so many folks, the game was exciting and the day, splendid. The Fur Rondy Princess showed up and posed with some of the players and although the fifth inning was a disaster, I believe Darwin's was the better team. They say Chilcoot Charlie's always finds young players and Darwin's Theory let's the 'old timers' participate. It really shouldn't matter who wins or loses, but talk went on deep into the night about how it all could have been different if... The traditional meeting at Darwin's before the game was great fun and Barbara Jean served up the Hot Shots in fine style. Darwin's signature drink is an odd concoction of cinnamon liquor topped with Tabasco. The bartenders pour a shot glass full of the mixture for each and everyone and then wait until all are served. At the clanging of the bell, the partakers do a long, slow yell that cresendo's with downing the shot in unison and slamming the shot glass down. It's a tradition that can really scare the newcomer, but so be it. This is Alaska and you should be scared. I've been telling everyone who asks me, "How's Alaska?", that Alaska is incredible because each day is more humiliating than the last. Alaska is in your face and humbling. I want to continue to be hopeful and open to love. I'll share my latest poem about amore. Let me know if you think I'm too jaded to swoon again.

Round Reverie

I saw his eyes flash
as ego clashed
when I did what I did
he hid his heart
so twirling girl and dancing soul
the battle waged tonight has told
no one's won
brave bird go on
loving every one
It comes in unseen
the plays of broken men
I flicker bright amid the hurtful, bitter den
like caves they adorn
with sweet, sweet beat
of living, breathing, watery heat
music plays and romance begins
oh balance in my innocence
all is not lost
just start again
a sacred, circle, mirrored end

Robin Rosemond 2008

No comments: